Practical workshop for Indigenous Peoples and local communities on IP and traditional knowledge
4-6 December 2013 (Geneva, Switzerland)
The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) will organize a practical workshop for indigenous peoples and local communities on intellectual property and genetic resources, traditional knowledge and folklore, from 4-6 December 2013, in Geneva, Switzerland. The workshop aims to: impart basic knowledge of the main principles of the intellectual property (IP) system from a traditional knowledge (TK) perspective, emphasizing both the potential value that IP could bring in support of TK protection and the gaps within the IP system that might need to be filled; explain the rationale, objectives and methodology of the negotiations that are taking place in the WIPO Intergovernmental Committee on Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Folklore; and raise awareness of the available IP tools and WIPO materials that are relevant to the protection of TK.
The workshop is open to fourteen participants (two for each of the seven geo-cultural regions recognized by the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues), who will be selected based on the following criteria:
- be an active member of an indigenous peoples’ organization/NGO or local community;
- be nominated in writing by his/her indigenous peoples’ organization/NGO or community;
- have suitable experience in international meetings and processes;
- be able to speak either English, Spanish, French or Russian;
- have motivated his/her interest in participating in the practical workshop; and,
- have formulated his/her readiness to share information gathered and experiences gained at the Workshop.
Indigenous peoples and local communities members who wish to participate in the workshop need to submit an application form to the WIPO Traditional Knowledge Division by 15 September 2013. The selected participants will be provided with economy class air travel to and from Geneva, Switzerland and a daily stipend for the duration of the workshop. Read the WIPO announcement on the workshop … Download the application form [doc] … Read an IP Watch comment on the workshop …